Data and Analysis Unit: KULMAES1
Last update: 2015-05-13 by Andy Wills
Rat discrimination task, reported as Experiment 1A in Maes et al. (in prep.)
This DAU contains raw data in open
cross-platform formats (see the file format notes). It also contains
analysis scripts that are mainly in a cross-platform open format (R script), but there are also two
short SPSS syntax files. SPSS syntax files are plain text, so can be opened by any text editor. However,
you will need SPSS to run these files, and this program is not open source.
If anyone knows how to replicate the analysis in these SPSS syntax files within R,
please get in touch.
The APA-format citation for this resource is:
Maes, E. and Wills, A.J. (2015). Data and Analysis Unit: KULMAES1. Retrieved from http://www.willslab.co.uk/kulmaes1
If you make use of these resources, please drop me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- kulmaes1data.txt (449 KB) - Raw data,
mostly at session level. Where the reported analysis make use of sub-session analysis, this
data is included. This is the finest grain of data we currently have available in an easily
machine-readable format. Column headings are as follows:
- group: Experimental condition (NP = "NP transfer", PP = "PP transfer")
- subj: Participant ID (unique within KULMAES1)
- rgrp: Rats were run in groups; rgrp = the group in which the rat was run.
- box: Multiple Skinner boxes were used; box = box identifier, unique within KULMAES1.
- cbal: Stimulus counterbalance condition, as described in kulmaes1cbal.txt
- phase: Experiment phase (1-3)
- part: Phase-specific variable:
- Phase 1: part = 1 - lever retracted during ITI; part 2 - lever not retracted
- Phase 2: always set to 1
- Phase 3: part = 1-3; phase 3 has three sub-phases, see paper.
- sess: Consecutively numbered days of testing.
- subsess: Phase-specifc:
- phase = 1: Set to zero (session level data)
- (phase = 2) AND (sess = 28) AND (stim = 'E' OR stim = 'F') : Takes values of 1-8, for 1st to 8th presentation in session
- Rest of phase 2 data: Set to zero (session level data)
- phase = 3: Takes values 1 to N, for Nth presentation of 'stim' within current 'part' of phase 3 (sub-session data)
- period: pre = 30-second pre-stimulus period, stim = 30-second stimulus
presentation period (note: phase 1, part 1 is always set to 'stim', as lever is only
present during the stimulus and hence pre-stimulus responding is, by definition,
- stim: presented stimulus, coded in terms of the abstract design.
- resp: Where subsess=0, resp = mean number of times lever is pressed (mean is taken over all
presentations of stim within a sesssion). Where subsess > 0, resp = total number of times lever
- kulmaes1cbal.txt (1 KB) -
Stimulus counterbalancing. Column heading as as follows:
- cbal: Counterbalance condition, see above.
- A-F: The abstract stimulus type, see above. For each combination of
abstract stimulus and counterbalance condition, the table specifies the physical
stimulus employed. The six physical stimulus types are described in Maes et al.
- kulmaes1analysis.R (13 KB) - R script to support analyses
reported in Maes et al. This script takes in the raw data (above). For phases 1 and 2, the script produces
a table of means for the Figures and also plots the Figures (without error bars).
It does not compute the ANOVAs. Instead, it produces a TXT file for each phase that can be imported
into SPSS and analysed using the syntax files provided below. For phase 3, the R script presents the Figure
means, does the t-test, and peforms the individual subject SD-based analyses.
- kulmaes1phase1.sps (1 KB) - SPSS syntax script to
support analysis of Phase 1. Requires import of text file produced by kulmaes1analysis.R.
- kulmaes1phase1ppnp.sps (1 KB) - SPSS syntax script to
support analysis of Phase 1 (NP vs. PP). Requires import of text file produced by kulmaes1analysis.R.
- kulmaes1phase2.sps (1 KB) - SPSS syntax script to
support analysis of Phase 2. Requires import of text file produced by kulmaes1analysis.R.